Monday, January 23, 2017

Recipe: Collard breakfast wraps (An easy way to eat more vegetables)

 photo IMG_8720_zpsw3lvoohv.jpg
Though I've yet to write about them (I know), one of my big goals for 2017 is to get back on the health bandwagon. The second half of last year came with its fair share of struggles, and in the face of added stress coming from all angles, my eating habits suffered and working out became a distant memory, so much so that when I finally did get back in the gym everything felt completely foreign. I started out this month thinking I'd create my intentions right away, but as it drew on, it became clear that January is more of a transitional month for me. In the past I've done Whole 30s, or given up alcohol, etc starting January 1st, but this time around it's been crucial for me to take this time to set myself up for the coming year. First thing's first, getting back to the style of eating that makes me feel my best! Which equals tons of vegetables and fresh things and lots of color. I'm gearing up for a strict Whole 30 in February, so to prepare, I've been cutting back on grains and gluten, which make me feel bloated and sluggish in the first place, and on processed foods and white sugar while working to remind myself how much I love all things fresh.

I've found that one of the easiest ways to start the day off right is with breakfast. Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day -- coffee literally is what gets me out of bed in the morning -- so on the weekends and when I'm working from home (meaning: when I don't have to wake up at 5) I try to design the meal so it includes lots of fresh veggies and a little fruit. I've found that if I start my day focusing on health, with a lot of water and lots of fresh things, the rest of the day is more likely to follow suit. This has been a go-to lately, so I thought I'd share! Collard greens are my favorite bread, tortilla and wrap replacement, they're sturdy, super crunchy and packed with vitamins and micronutrients (hello vitamin A). Unlike butter lettuce and romaine, collard greens don't disintegrate under heavier fillings, so there's way less mess. I like to cut up a bunch of veggies on Sunday to use as salad fixings and collard wrap fillings throughout the week, which makes assembly super fast and easy.

Collard Green Breakfast Tacos
[makes 2]

1/2 large collard green leaf, washed, with center vein removed and cut into 2 pieces
1-2 eggs (tofu scramble also works!)
Coconut oil or ghee
Purple cabbage (sliced)
Radish (sliced)
Cilantro (sliced)
Green onion (sliced)
Avocado (sliced)
Hot sauce
Nutritional yeast

Scramble eggs in coconut oil until done. Divide in two and place on collard leaf pieces. Top with veggies, hot sauce and nutritional yeast.

 photo IMG_8722_zpsluhbxcfn.jpg